The Best Arrow Rests for Hunting
An arrow rest is not always something even the best hunters put much thought into. That’s a shame because, without one, arrows won’t release well or fly as true. With an inferior one, the results won’t be much better either.
Arrow rests have been under development over the past decade to improve the results they deliver. They perform the role of stabilization by helping arrows stay flat and level. The platform they provide avoids arrows twisting upon release which would take them off target almost immediately. The drop away variety have components that rotate out of the path once the arrow is released to avoid catching on the arrow’s feathers.
Not all rests are equal. It depends on what type of hunting you’re planning on doing, the conditions, and a variety of other factors. The best ones help effective hunters get more arrows on target. Period.
Our Top 5 suggestions right here (find out more on AMAZON):
1. Quality Archery Designs Ultra Rest Hunter Arrow Rest Drop Away (Right Hand)
The Quality Archery Designs Ultra Rest Hunter Arrow Rest is a drop away version that’s only suitable for right-handed hunters. The arrow rest fits onto the compound bow whenever it’s needed, so it doesn’t always need to be attached.
- Arrow rest made from Delrin, CNC aluminum, and stainless steel
- Laser cut felt for smooth arrow draw and release
- Compatible with shorter arrow lengths
- Capture bar over the mount to ensure arrows stay on-point
- Years of use expected from strong components
- Right-handed model
The curved, padded rest is overshadowed by the capture bar that runs across the top of it to protect arrows from moving outside of the catchment area. A patterned timing cord is also attached which is adjustable using the cable clamp. The design of the product makes firing off shorter arrows no longer an issue.
The felt around the mount is laser cut for smooth draws with the arrow gliding more easily. The thumbwheel allows for arrow loading without difficulty in a single motion. The parts are made from Delrin, CNC aluminum, and stainless steel.
2. Quality Archery Products HDX Arrow Rest
The Quality Archery Products HDX Arrow Rest is available in either a right-handed or left-handed version. There is also a color choice between black and Realtree AP camo to blend into the forest better.
The product is designed using stainless steel as its main material for robust durability over time. As the best model in the Quality Archery range, there are improvements over their HD model. Vibrations are mitigated using their anti-vibration features. Peak vibrations are reduced significantly with the molded rubber use helping in this regard.
- Top-of-the-line arrow rest
- Vibrations reduced significantly
- Sound emanations also reduced
- Black or Realtree Camo colors
- Left-handed and right-handed orientations with different models
- Timing cord provided
- Full draw marks clarify the position the launcher should be in when ready to fire
- Greater vertical clearance for feathers and vanes on the HDX model vs the HD model
- An S.O.G. knife is often provided to make it easier to cut the cord to a shorter length
The block design approach is ideal for easy mounting on the compound bow. The timing cord provided is variable in length and adjustable. A full draw mark indicates where the launcher should be when in this position ready to release an arrow on target.
3. Truglo Downdraft Drop-Away Arrow Rest RT Xtra
The Truglo Downdraft Drop-Away Arrow Rest RT Xtra is a robust-looking model made for improved performance. The bushings are fully sealed to promote downward motion when an arrow is launched. The dampeners are made from rubber to reduce the sound when an arrow is loaded into the bow. The product is easy to attach to the buss cable and no bow press is needed. Installation can be performed without difficulty at home or on the hunt.
- Efficient-looking drop away arrow rest
- Green camo that’s well done
- Reverberations are minimized through effective design
- Sealed bushings promoted downward movement
- Arrow rest can hold the arrow in position before releasing it
The drop away rest part doesn’t drop away quickly enough for some bows loaded at 70 pounds.
When firing an arrow, there is reverberation or bounce in response. The drop away motion ensures the fletch feathers at the back of the arrow won’t catch on the arrow rest impeding its flight. The arrow rest can hold the arrow in position near the nocking point to improve accuracy for beginner archers.
The green camo is particularly good here and blends well into the background.
4. New Archery Micro Apache Drop Away Arrow Rest (Black, Righthand)
The New Archery Micro Apache Drop Away Arrow Rest is an angular model that lacks the finesse of other rests. It is a black version which is only interrupted by the gray interior of the rest and occasional branding here and there. This is a right-handed only model.
- Metal-based angular arrow rest
- Drop away feature
- Felt lining the interior perfectly which dampens sounds and vibrations
- Attached string guides the arrow’s path
- Black exterior, gray felt interior
- Unlikely to work well with a Hoyt bow
Installation and subsequent tuning is simple to achieve and doesn’t need separate tools to complete it. A laser has etched markings to guide the tuning process so you’re not working in the dark. The construction is metal with a dampening felt added internally to reducing vibrations and sound when loading an arrow or having it rest in place.
The attached string will guide the path of the arrow and rises up when the arrow passes through the rest on its way to the target.
5. Quality Archery Designs Ultra-Rest HDX, Mossy Oak, Right Hand
The Quality Archery Designs Ultra-Rest HDX is a top-of-the-line arrow rest designed with a Mossy Oak camo to fit into brown, wooded areas nicely. This right-handed model is made from a mix of stainless steel, Delrin, and CNC-cut aluminum.
The arrow is completely contained inside the arrow rest which is lined with laser-cut felt to dampen any sound from the arrow being loaded in or during initial flight. A capture bar covers the top of the arrow rest, is slightly curved, and padded too. The mechanism falls away upon arrow release to avoid the Fletch feathers touching the sides which could affect the flight path.
- Top-of-the-line arrow rest with drop away feature
- Various vibration minimization and sound dampening technologies at work
- Arrow rest lined with soft felt
- Capture bar padded and curved
- Made to last with stainless steel, Delrin, and CNC-cut aluminum
- Attractive Mossy Oak Camo
- Right-handed model
Fitting and getting the arrow rest aligned correctly is likely to be a bit tricky for beginner archers.
The HDX model is the best in its class from Quality Archery. Improved harmonic dampening technology is deployed to prevent sound emanations from alerting the prey as the arrow is let loose. An injection-molded thumbwheel is also included to reduce vibrations further. The patented technology allows the arrow rest to fall away silently only once the arrow is fired and not before.
With an arrow rest, it is important to own one that uses quality materials. Aluminum that’s been CNC machine cut or stainless steel is two of the most common materials. With padding around the arrow rest and the capture bar that sits just above it, look at felt or another material. The felt or foam must remove the sound of an arrow sliding along the padded surface and not affect the trajectory of the arrow once it’s released. An arrow rest that is easy to fit either on the hunt or before setting off, is a good feature to have too.